Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Days Like These

Today, the 1 million plus people who signed the recall petition were outed to the public at large.  I've been in this food coma since that number was announced, actually.  I did not expect 1,000,000 people to sign that petition.  The news of that total came at a bad time, so I have yet to really appreciate the enormity of it, but it's sinking in.  It's hard to get people to sign a petition, even for something so white hot as this.  Even here in Madison, the number of people who don't want to be involved, or don't follow politics (like it's a sports team) is much higher than you would expect.  At least when you're involved in the mess you expect everyone to know what is going on, especially since it is all happening right in their backyard, but even right now, after all this hot mess, I bet I could find someone who could more readily tell me backup running back to the Badgers rather than their state senator.  Still, even then, 1 out of 4 eligible Wisconsin voters signed that petition.  That's pretty damn good.  Now, if only they all gave money, too, like 100 bucks, then that would be pretty damn sweet.

But now, we wait.  We're kind of locked into this holding pattern where I don't know what to do.  I'm still pretty jazzed about this whole thing.  I look forward to the campaign, the election and the steps after that because there absolutely will be steps after that.  This isn't a mobilization that can end because that's how we all got into the predicament, from Occupy on down.  If the Occupiers, we in Madison, and everywhere stayed consistently engaged, kept showing up everyday and just out hustling corporate interests, then we would be in better position.  Politicians only listen to the people in the room, and we, by and large, abdicated the room, and we can't do that ever again.

I don't know what to do with myself for the next 60 plus days while the signatures get reviewed and then it all this gets tied up in legal challenges and this and that and the other thing.  I probably should get back to my writing schedule.  That would be ideal.  I sort of fell off the wagon the past few weeks, but tomorrow, I swear, I'll be better and get back on track.  Maybe I'll blog more.  That would be nice.  Perhaps plan a vacation.  Do my taxes.  Worry more about my weight. Wait for the harassment to start since my name and address are now out there to publicly recall the governor (I'm imaging a scene from The Jerk where that guy just pick's Navin's out of the phone book.)  Try to enjoy a normal life, or what's left of my normal life before modern fascism came and shit on my good time.  So, I'll just have to content myself into my computer to suck out whatever news shakes free, particularly if it is news I agree with.  What's the point of the internet unless I can cocoon myself with only things that validate my beliefs?

Here's to a quiet spring and finding a new, temporary normal.

viva wisco


No comments:

Post a Comment